About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Final words

This week at Belding, students read Mahmoud Darwish's poem Psalm Three, and used it as a springboard to discuss their own impressions of words and self-expression--impressions that have dramatically changed over the course of their twenty weeks. Some of their thoughts are shared below:

from Mr. Merrill's class:

by Michael D.

On the day when my words were smashed
I was a friend to a shadow

On the day when my words were crushed
I was a friend to a needle

On the day when my words were blazing
I was a friend to a firestorm

On the day when my words were dark
I was a friend to a dark impact.
***

by Devanta


On the day when my words were darkness
I was a friend to tears

On the day when my words were stones
I was the friend of sadness

On the day when my words were black sky
I was the friend of soul

On the day when my words were chains
I was the friend of death.

***

On the day when my words were
by Jordan B.

On the day when my words were anger, my only friends were trees.

On the day when my words were kind, my friends were animals.

On the day when my words were green, I was friends with the trees.

On the day when my words were sugar, I was friends with chocolate.

***

from Mr. Aivazian's class

by Jocelyn R.

On the day when my words were happy
I was a friend to me and my mom.

The day when my words were chicken nuggets
I was a friend to my mom.

The day when my words were tired
I was a friend to my father.

***

Psalm Three
by Christopher W.

On the day when my words were sadness
I was a friend to crying of tears.

On the day when my words
were coming dream come
true like a fairy tale castle

I was a friend to a tree
because it has leaves from
the stem.

***

by Nick S.

On the day when my words were some
brand new fresh clothes I was a friend
to some brand new fresh Timz.

On the day when my words were cows
I was a friend to cheeseburgers.

On the day when my words were razors
I was a friend to a fresh new lineup.

***

from Ms. Navrocki's class:

Feelings!
By Amaris

On the day when my words were mean and cold,
My friend was regret.

On the day when my words were joy,
my friend was Mr. Summertime

On the day when my words were cryful,
my friend was not to forget Ahlam.

***

by Gloria V.

When my words were colorful I was a friend to a rainbow,
when my words were flowers, I was friends with a bee,
when my words were scared, I became
friends with a scarecrow, when my words were lonely,
I became friends with a word, when my words were pink
I became friends with a pig, when my words were happy,
I became friends with a book, when my words were depressed,
I became friends with a clock, when my words were sorry,
I became friends with a camera, when my words were amazing,
I became friends with a cat.

***

Hotdog
by Sasha P.

When my words were hungry,
I was friends with a butcher.
When my words were happy,
I was friends to an optimist.
When my friends were sad,
I was friends to a pessimist.
When my words were sweet,
I was friends to romance.

No comments: