About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Call and Response

This week at Belding, students were introduced to a series of short call-and-response poems from the Bantu of sub-Saharan Africa. We discussed the roles of oral tradition, and students were able to discuss examples from their own lives. Students then paired off, and created their own call-and-response-style poems, to be read aloud in tandem. Some examples of the work can be read below.

From Mr. Merrill's Class:

***

Michael D and Caleb S


Today’s sadness
Tomorrow’s happiness

The shack falling
The storm coming

The fire burning
The smoke forming

The bad bad day.

***

Imane and Jordan


My grandma’s doll handed to me
Tying the strings day today

My mom tells me about her life
All the fun things she did when she was a kid

***

By Devanta


The morning of
Africa the birds
Tweet

The morning of
Africa the sun
Rise

The morning of
Africa the kings
Rise with the
Sun

With the heaven
Earth

***

By Karim and Fardosa

I cut down an apple tree
I still feel bad

So angry
Broke the promise


The fearness is still
Inside me

A lion running right behind me
It hurts inside me
In a hole


By David

The morning beings
The night is gone

The sun is setting
Flowers are growing

Apples are falling off the tree
People and animals are playing
In the grass

I see people playing in the park
And people swing on the swings

I see the night started
And people go home

***

from Ms. Navrocki's class:

***

Sasha and Amine

I am cooking a fish, I don’t know what ingredient to use
I am standing on a wall and not falling

I see a huge black spot swooping down and dust falling from the ceiling
I see a hole in the wall and people are going in my house and eating my food.

***

By Nathaniel and Jose

I am watching TV and you?
Watching my favorite show.

Like what TV show?
I am watching Sonic.

***

By Katie and Lio

The Hospital

I’m doing a surgery.
Everyone is worried.

Nurses are running fast.
Relatives gasp.

Their relatives are worried.
So are their friends.

The surgery is going well.
Everyone is relieved.

***

By Loreyn and Ahlam

I’m giving a gift to my friend.
I saw in her eyes surprise and joy.

I gave her a letter with a ring so she knows I’m leaving forever.
I saw the tears crawl down in her eyes. It made me feel I’m all alone by myself.

I went to a land so far from home to hunt a diamond and sell it to stores.
I realized that selling the diamond was not right because I will just keep it to myself.

***

from Mr. Aivazian's class

***

By Jocelyn

I am running
In gym class

I am running
It is hot outside

I am running
Towards my sister

***

By Daniella

I am swimming
In the pool.

I go to the library
I take books

I go to the park
I play with my cousin, he have two years

I do gym with
My friends

I run in the sun
With my cousin.


***

By Christopher

I am hot from outside because it’s warm
And I like to go swimming at the beach

I was burning like fire and my grandma
Was putting sunscreen on my and my brother at our bodies.

No comments: